- 6 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli powder (more if you like a hotter salsa)
- a pinch of salt
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them so that they are fully covered.
- In a second bowl combine the onion, vinegar, chilli powder and salt.
- Leave the two bowls to stand for 5 minutes; this helps soften the onion and makes the tomatoes easier to peel. Rotate the tomatoes after a couple of minutes so that the part which was above the water is below it.
- Carefully remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and peel. The boiling water should have made them easy to peel, just slide a knife over the skin to break it and it should then peel off fairly easily.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, keeping all the juice that escapes.
- Mix the chopped tomatoes with the onion and vinegar and mix well.
- Leave to stand for at least one hour and then serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Makes a decent sized bowl of salsa.