Ancient Egyptian Date Bread

I have no idea how authentic to ancient Egypt this recipe is because I first heard about it at school when I was 8 years old. I wrote it down and remember really wanting to make it at the time. However I never did. I was looking through some papers at my parents home a few weeks ago and discovered this recipe written down in my 8 year old hand, so I had to give it a go.

Apart from the lack of sand and small stones, it might be similar to some bread from the reign of Mentuhotep.
 

Ingredients:

  • 350g strong brown bread flour
  • 190ml cold water
  • 20 dates, stoned and cut in half
 

Method:

  1. Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and add the cold water.
  2. Mix a bit with the blade of a knife, but only enough so that there's no visibly dry flour left but it's a bit lumpy.
  3. Add the dates and mix more with the knife.
  4. Use your hands to kneed the dough for 5 minutes.
  5. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave overnight.
  6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  7. Oil a baking tray with a bit of olive oil.
  8. Divide the dough into eighths.
  9. Use your palms to roll each eighth into a ball.
  10. Press the ball flat so that it's less than a centimetre tall and then use your finger tips to form it into a triangular shape. You want the edges to be slightly thicker than the center, but this should happen naturally as you work it into a triangular shape.
  11. Place on the baking tray with at least half a centimetre between each one.
  12. Bake for 30 minutes.
  13. Serve hot or cold.
 
Makes 8 small bread triangles.

Comments