- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cloves, finely ground
- 1 tin (390g) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic puree or 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 150ml water
- two 400g tins of haricot beans (with a drained weight of about 220g each)
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Fry the onion in the sunflower oil until it starts to soften.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, apart from the beans, and mix well.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the haricot beans to the tomato sauce and stir well.
- Transfer to a large oven proof dish.
- Bake in the oven uncovererd for an hour and a half.
- Enjoy with a fried egg or on some toast.
Serves 3 to 4.