- 600g slab of pork belly
- 40g of pre-mixed curing salt mix (check with the mix you've chosen for the exact quantities though: too much nitrates can poison you)
- Place your piece of meat in a plastic bag that can be closed, like a zip-lock freezer bag. Make sure to turn the tops of the bag over when placing the meat in to reduce the risk of getting raw meat on the outside of the bag.
- Sprinkle the curing salt over the meat in the bag.
- Use your fingers through the bag to work the salt into all the cracks of the meet.
- Fill a bowl or your sink full of water and carefully lower the bag into it to squeeze out all the air. Lower the opening at the top to just above the level of the water before sealing.
- Place in the back of the fridge for a week, turning every couple of days.
- Slice and cook like bacon or roast it whole.
Serves 3 (aim for about 200g per person)